[pypy-dev] Incompatibility in binary distribution of libraries?

Serhat Sevki Dincer jfcgauss at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:15:17 CEST 2011

Start with main.py and mylib.py
with python2.7 that comes with ubuntu 11.04 i386, run
python2.7 main.py
the program runs correctly and a file mylib.pyc is produced.
Then, if I remove or rename mylib.py file, pyc file is sufficient for
main.py to work
python2.7 main.py
still works.

With pypy 1.6, after I rename mylib.py, and try
pypy main.py
it complains with
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "app_main.py", line 53, in run_toplevel
  File "main.py", line 1, in <module>
    from mylib import myfunc
ImportError: No module named mylib

Is this an incompatibility with CPython 2.7? Or is it an environment
variable/default setting problem specific to Ubuntu?