[pypy-dev] Suggestions for small projects for getting started hacking on pypy?

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Sun Aug 28 07:30:31 CEST 2011

Hi Christian,

> Actually, I liked the suggestion from Wim (off list?) to start by improving
> bits of the cppyy C++ bridge.

yes; that was sent off the list.

> The only information I found about cppyy is a blog post from last Summer
> (CERN Sprint Report - Wrapping C++ Libraries). Is the information in that
> blog post still relevant?

Yes, except the loading of the reflection library (load_reflection_info
instead of load_lib). A status update posting is forthcoming. C++ is a large
language and I'm not working on this full-time. Progress is steady, though.

More sample code is available in the tests of cppyy/test.

> Which branch to I have to get? (I didn't find cppyy on the trunk).

It's in the reflex-support branch. I'm keeping the branch close to default
by regularly merging. With a few exceptions (the use of arrays), the only
real difference between default and this branch is the cppyy module.

Another thing that is necessary (for now) is ROOT (for either Reflex or
the CINT backend). See root.cern.ch. In the long run, llvm pre-compiled
headers should become the main backend (this is true for ROOT as well, see
http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/cling).

To get the best results, the reflex patch found under module cppyy needs
to be applied to genreflex. See the Makefile in test in how the generation
of reflection info works.

> I assume if I have more specific questions about a specific
> piece of code while I'm coding, the best way to proceed is to ask on the
> IRC channel?

That will very likely give you most answers, but myself I'm not on IRC.

Best regards,
            Wim
--
WLavrijsen at lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net