[pypy-dev] How are namespaces implemented in rpython?

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 05:33:20 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Alexander Golec <thejfasi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm preparing a presentation for Alfred Aho at Columbia, and I'd like to
> ask how are namespaces translated during the translation phase. Are they
> implemented dynamically, or are they actually compiled down to C?
>
> Alex

If I understand you correctly, you're asking if the notion of a module (or
namespace) exists at runtime for an RPython program, or whether that's
resolved at compile time?

The answer to that question is that all imports in RPython are resolved at
compile time, and thus modules are a purely compile time concept.

Alex