[pypy-dev] python 2 and python 3 sharing an interpreter?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Dec 8 20:12:23 CET 2011

Hey Stefan,

On 12/08/2011 01:54 PM, Stefan Behnel wrote:

> So, assuming that Martijn was actually referring to legacy code, I agree
> that it won't solve the problem at hand. But that doesn't mean it would
> be impossible to benefit from it.

Not sure what you mean here - I was referring to using existing Python 2
code in Python 3 projects, and vice versa.

The Cython experience is definitely interesting: it's good to know there
is some experience with this problem. My hope is that you can come up
with some sensible rules and fix the rest with a few annotations (in a
separate module informing the rest, or included in the codebase itself)
for the ambiguous cases.

If there's any native language that it should be easy to generate
bindings for in Python it should be Python, right? :)

Anyway, separate from the binding, I'm wondering about the challenge of
two Pythons in one runtime - how hard would it be to generate this with
the current PyPy? (imagining two different Python interpreters were
available)

Regards,

Martijn