[pypy-dev] Could someone give me an idea of what is where with RPython?

Fri Dec 9 22:19:18 CET 2011

Hey all,

I have the following conception of the RPython toolchain:

 - RPython translator is written in RPython, meaning it can be interpreted by CPython, and then run as a standalone executable once translated
 - The translator runs the standard interpreter on the input program.
 - The input program has some marker to say 'alright, I'm initialized, begin translating,' at which point execution stops and RPython starts
 - RPython kicks in, performs flow object space analysis on the initialized code objects.
 - Type annotation occurs based on the initialized types
 - The annotated code is passed down to the backend-facing code generator

Is this correct? Do I have a correct basic understanding of what happens where?

Alex