[pypy-dev] Could someone give me an idea of what is where with RPython?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Dec 9 23:29:17 CET 2011

Hi Alexander,

The RPython toolchain is meant to be useful essentially for people
that want to implement an interpreter for a dynamic language, or that
want to hack at PyPy itself.  If you're not in either category, you
probably only want to use the "pypy" executable, in the same way as
you use the "python" executable from CPython.

To answer your first question: the RPython toolchain is not written in
RPython, but in normal Python.  We only run it once, in order to build
the "pypy" executable --- similar to how the "python" executable is
built once using a C compiler like gcc.  (As the RPython translation
is written in normal Python code, it runs with either "python" or a
previous version of the "pypy" executable; nowadays we tend to use
pypy for that because it is faster, but the result is the same.)

(Did this help, or did I miss the point of your questions?... if so, I'm sorry)