[pypy-dev] PyPy Tool Chain

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sat Dec 10 11:13:23 CET 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 09:04, Carl Friedrich Bolz <cfbolz at gmx.de> wrote:
> I would say that the language has to be sort of dynamic for it to make
> sense. A variety of language *have* been implemented, giving credibility
> to that claim (barebones JS, Prolog, Scheme).

...you forget Haskell :-)

For Java, it would make sense in the sense of quickly testing what
kind of results we can get with a tracing JIT.  But you will never
beat HotSpot, or only on extreme examples; and by now I'm sure that
they are various tracing JITs for Java around and well-polished.  PyPy
is better at handling very complicated languages, like Python.  Direct
access to frames in the languages and other similar issues are
particularly messy when writing the JIT manually --- not to mention
the sheer amount of built-in types and dispatch rules of any single
operation.  I'm not saying that Java is a toy-simple language, but
rather that complexity comes from other places, like advanced
multithreaded GCs, that are out of the scope of Python and that we did
not investigate at all with PyPy.