[pypy-dev] How to turn a crawling caterpillar of a VM into a graceful butterfly

Laurence Tratt laurie at tratt.net
Sat Dec 31 17:58:55 CET 2011

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 05:45:35PM +0100, Armin Rigo wrote:

Hi Armin,

>>  func main():
>>    i := 0
>>    while i < 100000:
>>      i += 1
> A quick update: on this program, with 100 times the number of iterations,
> "converge-opt3" runs in 2.6 seconds on my laptop, and "converge-jit" runs
> in less than 0.7 seconds.  That's already a 4x speed-up :-)  I think that
> you simply underestimated the warm-up times.

In fairness, I did know that that program benefits from the JIT at least
somewhat :) I was wondering if there are other micro-benchmarks that the PyPy
folk found paricularly illuminating / surprising when optimising PyPy.

There's also something else that's weird. Try "time make regress" with
--opt=3 and --opt=jit. The latter is often twice as slow as the former. I
have no useful intuitions as why at the moment.

Yours,

Laurie
--
Personal                                             http://tratt.net/laurie/