[pypy-dev] testing floating point

Fredrik Johansson fredrik.johansson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 00:02:15 CET 2011

Hello,

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Amaury Forgeot d'Arc <amauryfa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2011/2/2 Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se>:
>> running the test suite of this package might be useful.
>
> Some user already tried it one year ago, this even triggered two bugs
> in the early version of the JIT:
> http://codespeak.net/pipermail/pypy-dev/2010q1/005722.html

Indeed (that user was me, and it was nice to see the problem fixed so
quickly!). There is one incompatibility left between CPython and PyPy
that breaks some functions in mpmath. In CPython, round() and
functions in the math module accept (and convert) inputs of any custom
type with a __float__ method, whereas they trigger a TypeError in PyPy
(1.4).

> I don't remember how fast is was, though.

On win32, PyPy 1.4 is about 40% slower than CPython 2.6 for running
the entire set of tests. This is probably mostly due to the slowness
of longs in PyPy. However, much of the regular floating point code
seems to be slower in PyPy as well.

Fredrik