[pypy-dev] Compat. in 1.4.1 __del__

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Sat Feb 5 23:47:50 CET 2011

2011/2/5 Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com>:
> Howdy,
>
> studying the differences of PyPy vs. CPython, most seem to be fine;
> one thing where I an unsure is the __del__ behavior.
>
> I am not addressing its delayed call or the number it is called, this
> is similar to Jython and IronPython.
>
> But assigning to __del__ after a class is created, is that so hard
> to implement?

It's not a JIT problem rather a RPython/gc one. All the RPython
classes with finalizers must be known at translation time. __del__ is
expensive in the for gc. To implement user level __del__, a different
underlying interp class is used which has its own __del__ which the gc
will call.

--
Regards,
Benjamin