[pypy-dev] google should build a pypy phone or someone

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 12:14:29 CET 2011

On 15/02/11 11:52, Massa, Harald Armin wrote:
> Antonio,
>

>     Anyway, back to the original topic: what would python offer more than java for
>     android?
>
> a much less challenging licence-situation.

I'm not completely sure.
AFAIK, the Oracle-Google lawsuit is about patents, not licences: in
particular, they are complaining about how Dalvik is implemented, not about
the fact that it implements Java.

>From what I could read at least a couple of those patents apply to PyPy as
well (and to whatever language with JIT, fwiw), e.g. IIRC there is one about
"compiling an optimized version of code that executes often" or something
similar (whether this patent is valid is another topic, of course).

ciao,
Anto