[pypy-dev] google should build a pypy phone or someone

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Tue Feb 15 15:06:07 CET 2011

On 02/15/2011 12:51 PM, Laura Creighton wrote:
> In a message of Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:36:43 +0100, Antonio Cuni writes:
> <snip>
>>
>> Anyway, back to the original topic: what would python offer more than jav
>> a for
>> android?
>>
>> ciao,
>> Anto
>
> As some of you saw in Leysin, I own one of these.
> http://www.freedominput.com/freedom-accessories/freedom-pro-keyboard which
> works with Android.
>
> which makes the whole idea of being able to sit down and program whenever
> the mood strikes you, even when your laptop is far away or out of power
> more attractive, since you can touchtype.
>
> But that doesn't make me want to start programming in java.
> Especially for the sort of quick and dirty calculations I use python
> -c for.

I am sure you know of this then:

http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

It's an app for Android that lets you script the phone with various
dynamic languages (including Python). Actually I think that PyPy
could/should be made to work with this thing. It would not quite make
PyPy a first class VM on the phone, but would already give you access to
a number of phone-specific features.

Carl Friedrich