[pypy-dev] implementing the additional repo migrations

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Sat Feb 26 09:09:50 CET 2011

Hi Laura,

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 03:31 +0100, Laura Creighton wrote:
> In a message of Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:36:16 +0100, Ronny Pfannschmidt writes:
> >hi,
> >
> >this night i started taking a look at the extra repos that need to be
> >migrated.
> >
> >many of them contain reconstructible, but large pdf files, that i'd like
> >to kill off for saving space.
>
> Why should we ever care about space?

Small repositories are faster to clone and work with.
I am fine to copy everything related to extradoc, though.

> >this shouldn't be a problem as long as the svn that many people link to
> >stays available read-only, but it would need a bit of a plan if that
> >goes as well.
> >
> >im currently investigating what parts of extradoc are reconstructible
>
> I don't think that much (or maybe any) reconstruction is necessary.
> The things in extradoc really are the tex files, pdfs and what-have-you
> that you would expect from their filename extensions.  The problem
> is that codespeak improperly serves them up as binary files.  So no
> reconstruction needed.  Just serve them properly.

this has nothing to do with codespeak but which svn:mime-type
files have in the svn repository.  If you find a file in the repo
that should have a certain mime-type you can e. g.

    svn ps svn:mime-type application/pdf path/to/file.pdf

it.

I am actually not sure how mercurial or bitbucket handles serving such files.
But I think we should anyway go for serving talks via http://pypy.org/talks/
just through apache and avoid giving out links to version control
repositories.  We might eventually migrate away from bitbucket
and we would then again have the problem of stale links.

cheers,
holger