[pypy-dev] implementing the additional repo migrations

Jacob Hallén jacob at openend.se
Sat Feb 26 10:25:45 CET 2011

Saturday 26 February 2011 you wrote:
> In a message of Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:36:16 +0100, Ronny Pfannschmidt writes:
> >hi,
> >
> >this night i started taking a look at the extra repos that need to be
> >migrated.
> >
> >many of them contain reconstructible, but large pdf files, that i'd like
> >to kill off for saving space.
>
> Why should we ever care about space?

A mercurial repository is cloned as a whole, including all revision history.
This does take up a lot of space with text files, but produces very large
repositories with binary formats, resulting in bad behaviour on slow links and
problems on devices with limited space.

While I am fine with dropping older revisions of just about everything in
extradoc, I wonder if it wouldn't be better better for the future to keep this
repository in svn format. That way you will only get one copy of everything
when cloning the repository.

Jacob