[pypy-dev] implementing the additional repo migrations

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Sat Feb 26 10:51:34 CET 2011

In a message of Sat, 26 Feb 2011 10:25:45 +0100, Jacob Hallén writes:

<snip>

>While I am fine with dropping older revisions of just about everything in
>extradoc, I wonder if it wouldn't be better better for the future to keep
>this repository in svn format. That way you will only get one copy of
>everything when cloning the repository.
>
>Jacob

I'm not fine with the dropping of older revisions.  One of the chief
benefits for me of moving to a version control system was that I could
feel comfortable ruthlessly condensing my writing, knowing that if I
ever wanted this stuff later -- say to use in a different document,
I could always go back and get the old revision that contained the
wonderful words or diagrams I now propose to cut.  And this has
happened in the past, where early versions of things I wrote ended
up raised out of the grave of the repository to live on as part of
completely different documents.

I'm not going to be comfortable deleting stuff this if I think that
the grim reaper is out there, just waiting to purge all my earlier
attempts once some document is deemed to be 'final'.  So I either
won't delete stuff, or I will go back to my old practice of having
dozens of versions around 'just in case'.

I'm fine with continuing to have the extradoc managed by svn, though
I really want a script that runs nightly looking for things in
extradoc that have a mimetype of binary and complains about this.

Laura