[pypy-dev] psycopg2 on PyPy

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 21:51:18 CET 2011

Hi all,

For the past week and a half I've been working on an RPython implementation
of psycopg2 (the most popular database adapter for PostgreSQL).  I'm happy
to announce that at this point it is passing all the DB-API2.0 tests, and
all the psycopg2 tests I converted into AppTests (most of them I think), it
also passes the entire DJango test suite (which makes extensive use of the
database).  The downside is that running the full Django test suite on top
of pypy with it is still about 20% slower than CPython.  So we have some
work to do.  The code is all at:
http://bitbucket.org/alex_gaynor/pypy-postgresql, I don't plan on merging
this back into the main dev tree, as it doesn't seem appropriate for
pypy-core to have a PostgreSQL adapter, rather I'd like to spend some time
looking at seperate compilation, so we can have external RPython modules.

Alex

"Code can always be simpler than you think, but never as simple as you want"
-- Me