[pypy-dev] bounties for pypy

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 11:59:40 CEST 2011

Hello Ian,

On 29/06/11 15:16, Ian Ozsvald wrote:
> Ian.
> ps. I posted the v0.1 PDF of my High Performance Python tutorial this
> morning (it is based on my EuroPython training session). It has a
> section on PyPy and I'd happily accept input if that section should be
> expanded:http://ianozsvald.com/2011/06/29/high-performance-python-tutorial-v0-1-from-my-4-hour-tutorial-at-europython-2011/

I read your tutorial and tried some of the code, nice work.

I tried to use the "bettermath" approach also on the pure python code, and run
it on PyPy: on my machine, it takes 2.4 seconds instead of 6.2.
For comparison, cython with bettermath takes 0.57 seconds, i.e. it's about 4
times faster than PyPy (with a trunk version of PyPy, did not try with pypy 1.5).

For this kind of code, there is no fundamental reason why PyPy should be
slower than cython, so I'll investigate a bit to see what is the problem.  But
still, I think that you should mention this "bettermath" implementation which
is much faster on PyPy.

ciao,
Anto