[pypy-dev] unable to translate with current head of default

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Thu Jul 7 03:24:37 CEST 2011

Hi Armin,

to come back to the problem that I've had with the jit ... it's gone now
with current default tip. No idea what's up, but I'm plenty happy with things
now working again for me.

The "heap" optimization does have a significant effect on my code, though,
so it's good to have it. I broke the fast path during one of the many merges
with default when I had to resolve differences (to be fixed next week?), but
the current numbers are still excellent:

$ ../../../translator/goal/pypy-cppyy-c-070511 bench1.py
rebuilding bench1.exe ...
warming up ...
C++ reference uses 0.032s
:::: cppyy interp cost:  0.523s (  16x)
:::: cppyy python cost:  0.997s (  31x)
:::: pycintex     cost: 50.554s (1579x)

So a factor of 50 improvement over the current CPython bindings, something
that used to be (back in December) a factor of 10 "only." Of course, for a
real comparison, I should backport cppyy to pypy as of Dec '10 to know which
changes are to be attributed to what, but none of this is the final product,
so for now it's simply good enough. :)

Best regards,
            Wim
--