[pypy-dev] Object identity and dict strategies

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Jul 8 17:19:17 CEST 2011

Hi Anto,

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Antonio Cuni <anto.cuni at gmail.com> wrote:
> what about starting to think about solutions only when we are sure that it's
> actually a problem?
>
> I don't expect any real world code to rely on this behavior (or, if it does,
> I'm up to call it broken :-))

As I said in my previous e-mail, I think that e.g. copy.py relies on
such behavior, and more generally any Python code that has to use id()
to emulate an identity-dict --- as broken as that approach is, just
because CPython thought that identity-dicts were unnecessary.

It may not actually be a problem right now in copy.py, but still, I
fear that it's a problem waiting to hurt us.

A bientôt,

Armin.