[pypy-dev] PyPy is much slower than CPython example / question

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Wed Jul 20 09:25:20 CEST 2011

On Wednesday, July 20, 2011, at 8:50:20 AM, "Alexander Petrov" <alexandervpetrov at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> So at this time I didn't come to some kind of decision about PyPy.
>
> On one hand in most of the cases with straitforward code/algorithms
> and "common" syntax constructs there was significant speed
> improvement.
>
> But on the other hand, for the cases where source Python code was
> "optimized" or "hacked" the time of execution was sometimes better,
> sometimes of one order... and sometimes was a cause for this topic
> discussion. :) It is not bad thing generally, the bad thing that this
> speed degradation situations are happenned unexpectedly for me. IMO
> they are the most (and may be only one) interesting from the
> PyPy-user
> viewpoint. "Where and in what cases one can expect bottlenecks". Is
> there any documented collection of such artifacts? It can be
> exceptionally useful.

That's exactly what I would like. I also experimented with some simple tests and came out with PyPy being twice as slow as CPython - a wiki page which documents current areas of slowness, and potential workarounds would be fantastic - I know these things can be improved in the future, sometimes quickly, but it seems like the know-how about handling it in the mean time isn't written down anywhere...

David