[pypy-dev] work on libpypy.so

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Mon Jul 25 14:31:59 CEST 2011

Hi Roberto,

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Roberto De Ioris <roberto at unbit.it> wrote:
> We would like to start using PyPy, so our need is having a workable
> libpypy.so implementation (we do not need it to be compatible with CPython
> api, we can rewrite those parts, expecially in uWSGI, without problems).

Indeed, there is nothing like that so far.  We need to think out the
kind of C-level API which makes sense for libpypy.so to expose.  There
are two options: either we tweak a little bit cpyext to expose the
CPython C API, or we design some higher-performance PyPy-only C API...

For the latter case the first issue is how to store a reference to a
PyPy object in C, given that it moves around --- maybe with an
indirection, which would be a bit similar to what cpyext does but can
be done with much better performance if we are free to design the API.

Feel free to come to our IRC channel to discuss things (#pypy on
irc.freenode.net).