[pypy-dev] JIT for scripts

Alex Şuhan alex.suhan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 16:36:15 CEST 2011

On 06/01/2011 04:05 PM, Armin Rigo wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Alex Şuhan<alex.suhan at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> PyPy works great for our PHP JIT interpreter
>
> Great to hear :-)
>
>> Other than the obvious duct taping, are there any caveats to this solution?
>
> Not that I can think of.  It sounds like a good solution, or let's say
> a good workaround, for the way PyPy does things.
>

> A bientôt,
>
> Armin.

Thank you both for the answers. Short (but often) running scripts is an
unsettling real-world scenario for web apps, so it's good to have at
least an acceptable workaround.

We're also struggling a bit with calls speed. At the moment we're not
too far behind Zend (inside 30% on killer microbenchmarks - e.g. naive
Fibonacci), but catching up with the whole language will surely make the
matter worse. Seems like PyPy isn't a big fan of recursion either:

$ time pypy ~/fibo.py
3524578

real	0m3.763s
user	0m3.740s
sys	0m0.012s

$ time python ~/fibo.py
3524578

real	0m1.373s
user	0m1.356s
sys	0m0.008s

(Debian Unstable 64 bit, PyPy 1.5 vs CPython 2.6.6)

Do you settle with this or do you plan to use complementary JIT
techniques besides tracing? I guess those won't be framework-ish and
reusable for other interpreters, anyway.

--
asuhan