[pypy-dev] static binaries please ...

Andreas andreas at unstable.nl
Mon Jun 13 21:16:15 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 03:03:10PM -0400, David Malcolm wrote:
> I know this is a slightly different approach to the one in your mail,
> but FWIW, I've packaged pypy (1.5) in rpm form for Fedora, and it may be
> possible to rebuild the pypy src.rpm on RHEL3.  Caveat: I've not tried
> it, though I've had some success with this src.rpm on RHEL5 and RHEL6
> (can take two hours or more to build, and you may want to disable the
>   %check
> section since this kills the build if certain test failures happen).

Thanks, but I reckon I can't do stuff with rpm as I don't have root rights on
the box. Either way it's working OK now after manually compiling the
dependencies (you do need to enable shared libraries for some of them).
A minor annoyance is that it gives warnings about the OpenSSL version -- but
how am I supposed to know which of the 20 openssl 0.9.8 versions was used to
compile pypy?!

Something completely different, this trick works fine in CPython:

    import sys
    sys.stdout = codecs.getwriter('utf8')(sys.stdout)
	print "[some unicode]"

For pypy needed to replace the prints with sys.stdout.write calls.

--
    -- Andreas	[ http://unstable.nl | gopher://unstable.nl ]