[pypy-dev] codespeed setup

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 09:12:04 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:32 AM, Chuck Remes <cremes.devlist at mac.com> wrote:
> I'm working on setting up codespeed for several Ruby projects. The codespeed project points at this list as the place to ask questions and get help.

There is a codespeed-dev list somewhere as well, it is ok to ask here though.

> >From the README on the project page (https://github.com/tobami/codespeed) it says that codespeed needs to clone any repositories locally that it is tracking.
>
>> Note: Git and Mercurial need to locally clone the repository. That means that your codespeed/speedcenter/repos directory will need to be owned by the server. In the case of a typical Apache installation, you'll need to type sudo chown www-data:www-data codespeed/speedcenter/repos
>
> This implies that serving up all web requests to get access to the stats happens on the *same* box that is also running the benchmarks. I would think this would skew results over time especially if there is heavy web traffic. I would like to avoid having the resource consumption from web hosting impact the benchmarking output.

No, it does not imply that in any way. Requiring local copy doesn't
mean you have to have benchmarks run there.

> Once I'm ready to take this into production, is there a django configuration change I can make so that the box offloads all web hosting to another host? Ideally, as commits are detected in the repositories and the benchmarks are rerun and the results posted, codespeed would be able to regen a bunch of static files and ship them off to the web server.
>
> Am I on the right track with this or am I missing something obvious?

Pages are a bit too dynamic for that. You can request particular
ranges of data etc. In theory it's maybe possible, but I don't think
with the current codebase.