[pypy-dev] Bitbucket? Why not python.org

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Thu Jun 23 17:51:42 CEST 2011

On 6/22/11 7:30 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> 2011/6/22 Christian Tismer<tismer at stackless.com>:
>> Hi friends,
>>
>> the subject line says it all...
>>
>> I'm in the progress of updating stackless to use mercurial on
>> python.org and talked to Martin v. Loewis who pointed out
>> the restrictions of Bitbucket.
>> Besides the impression that Bitbucket is pretty slow, it is also not
>> possible to add our own hooks to it.
> The impression that Bitbucket is slow? What does that mean? I don't
> find python.org any faster than Bitbucket.
>
>> I'm pretty sure python.org would be happy to host PyPy.
>> Is there any good reason why we don't ask and move to python.org?
> I didn't do the mercurial transition, but I'm pretty happy with bitbucket.

This is no answer but an opinion ;-)

I was asking why we don't use python.org instead of bitbucket.
Before, we had codespeak.net which was very convenient because
I knew all relevant people in person.
Python used sourceforge before, but preferred to have the freedom
to host their data themselves.
By using python.org, PyPy would have similar convenience as
before.
Therefore my question: What makes bitbucket the better choice over
python.org, despite free t-shirts?  (which might be an important reason
for some :-) )

still wondering -- chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)<mailto:tismer at stackless.com>