[pypy-dev] Bitbucket? Why not python.org

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Sun Jun 26 12:27:50 CEST 2011

Hi Christian,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 17:51 +0200, Christian Tismer wrote:
> On 6/22/11 7:30 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> >2011/6/22 Christian Tismer<tismer at stackless.com>:
> >>Hi friends,
> >>
> >>the subject line says it all...
> >>
> >>I'm in the progress of updating stackless to use mercurial on
> >>python.org and talked to Martin v. Loewis who pointed out
> >>the restrictions of Bitbucket.
> >>Besides the impression that Bitbucket is pretty slow, it is also not
> >>possible to add our own hooks to it.
> >The impression that Bitbucket is slow? What does that mean? I don't
> >find python.org any faster than Bitbucket.
> >
> >>I'm pretty sure python.org would be happy to host PyPy.
> >>Is there any good reason why we don't ask and move to python.org?
> >I didn't do the mercurial transition, but I'm pretty happy with bitbucket.
>
> This is no answer but an opinion ;-)
>
> I was asking why we don't use python.org instead of bitbucket.

I don't remember any big comparison analysis. Some people
pushed for bitbucket, a number was using it already, and the others
didn't mind.  The main effort and focus was on the conversion of the
svn repository, anyway.

> Before, we had codespeak.net which was very convenient because
> I knew all relevant people in person.

We have some personal contacts to bitbucket - they actually sponsor an
unlimited plan for PyPy.  Moreover, some pypy devs wanted a hosting
solution where we do not depend on private connects or work but can
rather rely on a company basing their business on such hosting.

> Python used sourceforge before, but preferred to have the freedom
> to host their data themselves.
> By using python.org, PyPy would have similar convenience as
> before.
> Therefore my question: What makes bitbucket the better choice over
> python.org, despite free t-shirts?  (which might be an important reason
> for some :-) )

PyPy has by now quite some integration code wrt to bitbucket.
It seems all are quite happy with bitbucket services as it stands.
So seen from now the question probably rather is why we should
move anywhere else.

best,
holger