[pypy-dev] bounties for pypy

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Wed Jun 29 09:53:22 CEST 2011

>The idea was also to possibly attract new developers ... for example, if
>there would be "10 days in money" for adapting py2exe, I am sure many wou
>ld
>jump to solve this puzzle.

This is sort of a bad example.  Because py2exe embeds CPython, and
we wouldn't want to do that.  So what we would probably want to do is
to make some general tool that willmake a windows binary, or a
mac one, and get rid of the need for bzfreeze and friends.  So now
you are looking at a general embedding solution, and that is more
than 10 days worth of work.

But I get  the idea.

<snip>
>> my dream was of a trustee service: after somebody commits to do the wor
>k,
>the pledgers have to pay to a trustee. then the work is done. then the
>trustee pays the worker.

This is one of the things I want to talk with fundedbyme about.  But
having an explicit trustee is a new idea.  I think the pypy core
developers are already rather well trusted in this community, but
this may be important to new developers who aren't as well known.
And it handles the problem' of 'I got sick and cannot do this  any
more' more gracefully than other solutions.

>Hmmm.... a structure could be:
>
>- service provider does the technical stuff, as in:
>   # website
>   # collect pledges
>   # handle project description
>   # collect money
>   # distribute money after feature completion

fundedbyme has sort of indicated an interst in doing this (except
they were talking about distribution before, and I was leaving
project description to the project, not outsiders).  I will follow
up on this when I get back home to Sweden.

>- PSF / pypy-foundation / whateverfoundation provides the trust
>
>Thanks for confirming the need for such a thing!
>
>Harald

Thanks once again for seeing a marketing solution that nerds like
us often miss.

Laura