[pypy-dev] pytest2 branch ready

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Mon Mar 7 00:43:38 CET 2011

In a message of Sun, 06 Mar 2011 19:00:04 GMT, holger krekel writes:
<snip>

>On a sidenote, i'd actually like to avoid shipping pytest and
>py lib within the PyPy source tree especially now that there are
>three extra items "pytest.py", "py" and "_pytest" cluttering
>up the pypy root. (There are good reasons for this which
>have not much to do with PyPy though).  FWIW I don't plan to
>do many wild releases of pytest in the foreseeable future :)
>
>best,
>holger

I think I am confused.  If we begin shipping pypy without a py.test
that is known to work with it, then some year in the future some poor
soul (maybe me) who happens to want to run an old verion of pypy --
say a hypothetical pypy 1.5 that comes with no included py.test --
may find that your latest and greatest py.test does not run the tests.
And then it will be a matter of archeology to find out what version of
py.test does work with this release.  Is there something wrong with
this understanding?

Laura