[pypy-dev] Change to the frontpage of speed.pypy.org

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Tue Mar 8 17:14:52 CET 2011

In a message of Tue, 08 Mar 2011 09:10:32 +0100, Miquel Torres writes:
>Hi,
>
>I finished the changes to the speed.pypy.org home page last night, but
>alas!, I didn't have time to deploy. I will do it later today and will
>then ping you back.
>
>The extra info provided is really nice as an overview, you will see ;-)

Ah good.  Thank you very much.  We spent yesterday afternoon with
the Mozilla engineers, and I got to talk to the person who maintains
the benchmarks for tracemonkey.  He had timelines very much like ours.
There is one feature he has that I would like to have.  Take a look
at    the timeline for spectral.norm.  There are two spikes there.
Mozilla has lines like that too, though mostly it is because their
jit decides that the whole benchmark is bogus and optimises out all the
code.  So it takes 0 time.  oops.

At any rate, aside from knowing that something went horribly wrong with
that rev, you don't really need to know how wrong.  And by making the
graph display up to that point means that the dots where things really
do matter get crammed closer together than would otherwise be the case.
So he had a mode where things wehre displayed with an arbitrary value
at the bottom (in our coase it would be the top) which he could specify.
Then the graph would be replotted, with the outliers off the graph, but
making it easier to read the dots for the more normal cases.

Any chance we could do that too?

Laura