[pypy-dev] Change to the frontpage of speed.pypy.org

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 14:21:50 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Massa, Harald Armin <chef at ghum.de> wrote:
> I really, really like the new display!
>
> And it motivated me to dig into the data ... which is a great result on its own.
>
> The first question for myself was "hey, why is it slow on
> slowspitfire, and, btw, what is slowspitfire? Could that be something
> that my application does, too?"
>
> But I was unable to find out what slowspitfire is doing ... I found
> spitfire, which does some HTML templating stuff, and deducted, that
> slowspitfire will do some slow HTML templating stuff. Where did I
> click wrong? Is there a path down to the slowspitfire.py file or an
> explanation what slowspitfire is doing?
>
> Harald

https://bitbucket.org/pypy/benchmarks/src/b93caae762a0/unladen_swallow/performance/bm_spitfire.py

It's creating a very large template table (1000x1000 elements I think)

The explanation "why it's slow" is a bit longish. It's a combination
of factors, including very long lists with GC objects in it, using
''.join(list) instead of cStringIO (the latter is faster and yes, it
is a bug) and a bit of other factors.