[pypy-dev] problem after merging of jit-virtual_state

Hakan Ardo hakan at debian.org
Sat Mar 12 19:25:53 CET 2011

Yes, this is probably the VirtualState checking. It will retrace a
loop whenever the VirtualState at the end of a bridge differs from the
VirtualState at the beginning of the compiled trace (any of the
compiled traces). This might indeed produce an identical trace if we
are unlucky, but the idea is that this should only happen rarely.

This is because the VirtualState  at the beginning of a trace is the
state of all the OptValue of the inputargs produced during the
optimization of the trace. This does not have to be the most general
state for which the trace is usable (which would be hard to calculate
I'm afraid).

A few cases that would (most likely) result in identical traces are
salvaged in NotVirtualInfo._generate_guards by producing some extra
gurads at the end of a bridge to make the VirtualState there match the
VirtualState of a compiled trace. This is however only done if the
guards would (most likely) not fail for the traced iteration.

I'll look into what's happening in this particular test...

--
Håkan Ardö