[pypy-dev] problem after merging of jit-virtual_state

Hakan Ardo hakan at debian.org
Sun Mar 13 11:12:56 CET 2011

Hi,
this is what happens here:

1. The inner loop is traced and Loop0 is produced with preamble Loop1

2. A bridge from Guard3 (the test in the while) back to Loop0 is
traced (i.e the remaining parts of the outer loop)

3. At the end of this bridge the VirtualState does not match the
VirtualState of Loop0, so the loop is retraced

4. The VirtualState of the newly traced version of the loop does not
match the VirtualState at the end of the bridge so the bridge has to
jump to the preamble instead of jumping to the new specialized version
of the loop.

5. A bridge from Guard6 (signal/thread counter) is traced and the same
thing happens for this bridge.

This means that the additional two versions of the loop will never be
used and should hopefully be reomved by the gc...

So there are two issues:

A. The additional specialized versions created does not become usable.
This is the issue I'm working on in the jit-usable_retrace branch. The
idea there is to have the retrace inherit the OptValue's of the
jumpargs at the end of the bridge. This will become a fairly large
change functionality wise...

B. The VirtualStates' s differs in the first place forcing a retrace.
This is probably fixable by introducing some more cases in
NotVirtualInfo._generate_guards(). The jit-usable_retrace branch
contains more cases than trunk, don't know if those are enough for
this test though...

Note however that
jit/metainterp/test/test_nested_loops_discovered_by_bridge in
test_loop_unroll.py, which conatins the same loop for a simple
interpreter, does work nicely, wihtout the issues above.

--
Håkan Ardö