[pypy-dev] Thinking about the GIL

Ben.Young at sungard.com Ben.Young at sungard.com
Wed Mar 16 11:06:36 CET 2011

It's a nice solution for lots of problems, but unfortunately not the areas I'm interested in, where there's a shared constant memory data set of 20-100GB and 32-64 threads all performing calculations on it. As soon as you do any data copying you blow the memory requirements and kill the performance. Of course, I can't say I'm working in a "standard" environment, but for some things nothing but true threading will do

Note this is in C# which does scale quite well to 64 threads, as long as you don't do any allocation!

Cheers,

Ben