[pypy-dev] ideas for Google Summer of code

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 18:23:59 CET 2011

My ideas, take the ones you guys like and don't bother if some are too
hard or the pypy team is not interested:

1 - Some pypy compatibility site, like the one brett made for python 3
2 - Rework pypy website to make it pretty and more organized, maybe
migrate or integrate bitbucket wiki with the rest of the docs
3 - make a killer app for pypy: either make mercurial/bzr or django
faster on pypy to get more users
4 - Finish faster ctypes, make a cython/swig backend
5 - stackless on pypy with jit
6 - make an embeding api (for mod_wsgi and uWSGI)
7 - make pypy on .net jit work (or on java)
8 - better mac os or windows support (or strange unix like aix and
[net|open|free]bsd)
9 - Port ZODB or other less complex c extension to pypy/ctypes (pycripto)
10 - ultra fast pickle (nice for everyone specially to incentive zodb
to be ported)
11 - make the 64bit jit better (IIRC it was not as great as it could be)
12 - powerpc jit
13 - better GC

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> In a message of Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:09:19 +0100, Antonio Cuni writes:
>>Hi all,
>>
>>the deadlines for GSoc are approaching, and at some point we should proba
>>bly
>>make a blog post about that.
>>
>>But first, we need to 1) collect ideas for possible tasks and 2) find
>>potential mentors.
>>
>>Two ideas that just came to my mind:
>>
>>- "general work" on speed.pypy.org (we need to define better what we want
>>, of
>>course)
>>
>>- improving the jitviewer, maybe integrating it with the profiler (when w
>>e'll
>>have one :-))
>>
>>- <insert-your-idea-here> :-)
>>
>>ciao,
>>Anto
>
> 3.x conversions -- a) write an interpreter
>                   b) do the fiddly bits needed to integrate the new
>                      interpreter with our codebase
>                   c) get the 3.whatever tests to pass
>
> I think this is too much work for one SoC student, but maybe not if it
> was set up as 2 projects, one of which stared after the other did.  I
> am not sure how SoC is being handles for people who live in the
> Southern hemisphere and who go to classes in June, July, etc.

Leonardo Santagada