[pypy-dev] ideas for Google Summer of code

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 21:32:48 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Leonardo Santagada <santagada at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> 7 - make pypy on .net jit work (or on java)
>
> This reminds me: it might be good to make the JVM PyPy be able to call
> native Java code - on a typical JRE, and on Android.  Last I heard, on
> Android people were using a CPython port, which reportedly requires a stub
> for the various Android library calls that're written in
> what-is-essentially-Java.  What I was told is that the Ruby port to Android
> gives much better API access, because they started with a Ruby that runs on
> a JVM.

I think dalvik and jme don't support compiling during runs, so no jit,
then I think making jython (which also needs compilation at runtime)
work on dalvik seems like a better idea.

> Also, on the matter of performance testing, coming up with a bunch of tests
> that run unmodified on a large number of Python interpreters might be
> included - though perhaps that goes without saying.

This is part of the gsoc to implement a speed.python.org (so it is a
great idea, but it is not a pypy gsoc).

--
Leonardo Santagada