[pypy-dev] GC Tuning script values

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Mar 18 04:43:34 CET 2011

Hi Chris,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Chris Mulligan
<chris.mulligan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just installed PyPy on my Macbook Pro per Bob Ippolito's instructions. Very
> easy!

Thanks for the feedback.  The results make it clear that we should
somehow tune the number according to the load of the machine --
picking up the right number for the load can easily make a 20% speed
difference (at least on Mac OS X, but I strongly suspect the same is
true on other platforms).

Ideally, it should dynamically adapt its nursery size in order to
minimize the cache misses.  If anyone has a suggestion on how to
implement that, preferably in a non-OS-specific way (e.g. by reading
some x86 CPU counters), I'd welcome it :-)