[pypy-dev] Ctypes module written in RPython

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 01:25:40 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Alex Perry <alex.perry at pamurray.com> wrote:
> I can't find it in the docs, but it has been alluded to in the past.
> How far is the project from being able to compile a rpython module?
> I'd expect that to emit a wrapper that imports ctypes and declares
> calls into a shared library, and a directory of C code which
> implements the internals and can compile into the expected shared
> library.

Hi.

I'm a bit confused what you're trying to achieve. re compiler is not
RPython, however the sre module (which runs the regular expression
is). Regular expressions are kind of fast and they can be improved in
places where JIT don't run, but in general re module is faster than
the equivalent written in RPython, because it's jitted.

I completely don't follow the second part of your mail. Again: what
are you trying to achieve?