[pypy-dev] Google Summer of Code Idea Proposal

Dan Roberts ademan555 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 22:27:48 CEST 2011

Hi Romain,
    I just wanted to chime in that I think a Python backend for Cython would
be awesome. You wouldn't want to generate bytecode for compatibility
reasons: PyPy doesn't use exactly CPython's bytecode, and afaik IronPython
and Jython both just use their host VM bytecode directly. Generating
ctypes+pure python sources would be the most generally useful, and I think
that'd be the best GSoC project.
    Some great follow-up work would be to skip ctypes on PyPy and generate
different calls, as Antonio has found that even with his awesome
optimizations, ctypes is significantly (I think it was 5x) slower than the
alternative, rawffi I think, but don't quote me on that or the number.
    As for reviving the jvm backend, I think that's a very *interesting*
project, I actually have looked at doing that myself, there's a tiny bit of
work in the ootype-virtualrefs that I've done. You'll need to learn a ton
about how RPython works, the translator, and so on. I'm not sure that one
would get approval though, especially pitted against awesome projects like
your ctypes project. But don't let me discourage you from applying for
*both*, I just wouldn't put all my eggs in the jvm-backend basket.

Cheers,
Dan