[pypy-dev] Google Summer of Code Idea Proposal

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 00:24:33 CEST 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Romain Guillebert <romain.py at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I'm interested in doing the Summer of code on PyPy, from what I saw on
> the mailing list and on irc, I would like to work on 2 things which
> might interest you (there is no order of preference).
> * Python backend for Cython (to interface with C code, this could use
>  use ctypes or an API exposed by PyPy), the backend would either
>  produce python code or python bytecode and will allow PyPy to JIT the
>  Cython extension (I talked about it with Alex Gaynor yesterday).
> * Improve the JVM backend, making it translate on the trunk and
>  interface (R)Python code with Java. (As proposed by Antonio Cuni).
> I'm available from the end of May (around the 25th) to the beginning of
> September so this shouldn't be a problem.
> If this is OK, which one would you prefer ?

Personally I would vastly prefer the first one. It's more immediately usable.

We do require people submitting proposals to contribute some code
(like fixing a small issue) first before being accepted. Anywhere you
would like to contribute something? Feel free to pop up on IRC and ask
people around what's interesting.