[pypy-dev] The JVM backend and Jython

fwierzbicki at gmail.com fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 19:37:02 CEST 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:18 AM, Antonio Cuni <anto.cuni at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to warn you that at the moment, you cannot invoke any Java code from
> RPython.  Implementing it has been on my todo list for years now :-(, but I
> never managed to find the time and the motivation to do it.  However, for
> using the PyPy parser inside Jython it should be enough to do the other way
> around, i.e. call RPython code from Java, which should be possible.
My thoughts here are taking a very primitive step - that is run the
JVM translation and look at the generated Java - then see what needs
to be modified so that I could use the generated Java parser from
Jython. At this stage I would be using PyPy exactly the way I use
ANTLR now - as a parser generator. There wouldn't be any need at all
for calling into Java code (as far as I can think of). I think if we
Jython developers get some experience with PyPY - we might be able to
help with the task of calling into Java from PyPy - since we know a
bit about that :)

-Frank