[pypy-dev] PyPy compile memory requirements

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Thu May 19 18:00:06 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM, David Naylor <naylor.b.david at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sure you all know that translating pypy requires a large amount of RAM.
>
> It has been my experience that GCC also uses a large amount of RAM when
> compiling, about 4G.  Is it possible to get python/pypy to stop once
> it has written
> the source files and then to run that build process separately, thus avoiding
> having both pypy and gcc in memory at the same time?

This is probably due to some GCC bug (I remember the same thing
occuring on ubuntu a while ago).

If the only goal is to avoid doing those 2 at the same time, do
translate.py --source and then go to the /tmp/usession-*/testing_1
directory and type make

Note that it should nicely work with swap (since the python process is
not running any more when gcc is)