[pypy-dev] Developer selection for Py3k and Numpy

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Tue Nov 15 15:11:35 CET 2011

On 10/18/2011 01:40 PM, Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:
> Now that we are getting in some money for our Py3k [1] and Numpy [2]
> funding proposals (thank you very very much, for everybody who
> contributed!) it is time to think more concretely about the actual
> execution.
>
> Therefore I want to ask for PyPy developers that are interested in
> getting paid for their work on the first steps of the Numpy or Py3k
> proposals to step forward. To be applicable you need to be an
> experienced PyPy developer who worked in this area before (Numpy) or on
> the Python interpreter (Py3k).

Hi all,

wanted to follow up on this. The selected developers for the first
phases are:

Py3k phase 1.1:

Antonio Cuni has been a core developer of PyPy for 5 years, and has
worked in many areas of the project, including the Python interpreter,
the backends and the JIT compiler generator.  He has a deep knowledge of
the source code, and thus he is well suited to do the work to implement
Python 3 in PyPy.

Maciej Fijałkowski is a long time PyPy core developer and has
participated in the development of the Python interpreter since 2006. He
helped with the move from interpreter version from Python 2.4 to 2.5 as
well as 2.5 to 2.7. He also worked a lot on extension modules, like
ctypes. Thus he is well suited to implement Python 3 in PyPy.

Alex Gaynor has been contributing to PyPy for 1.5 years.  He has worked
on many parts of PyPy, including the JIT, interpreter, translator, and
some modules. He helped doing the port to 2.7, including writing the _io
module implementation, making him well-suited to work on the Python
3-effort.

Benjamin Peterson played a major role in porting PyPy to Python 2.7. His
understanding of the PyPy codebase is very broad. He is also a CPython
core developer and played a crucial role in implementing Python 3 there,
which makes him an ideal candidate for helping the equivalent effort in
PyPy.

Numpy phase 1:

Maciej Fijałkowski started developing the Numpy experiments done in
PyPy in 2009. He also created the first version of arrays that were
used for this experiment. He is also one of the maintainers of the x86
JIT-backend which makes him suitable for work on the performance front.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich