[pypy-dev] Translating pypy-sandbox eats 13GB of RAM

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 17:55:27 CET 2011

On Monday, 21 November 2011 18:30:31 David Naylor wrote:
> Hi
>
> While trying to translate pypy-1.7 with the sandbox option, using pypy-1.6
> I saw the translating pypy consume 13.3GB of memory (column Res in top).
> This is under FreeBSD-9RC2/amd64.

This isn't specific to the sandbox option.  The default options used also
cause this memory usage.  On a box with 16GB of RAM the translation was
causing extensive swapping (I estimate a peak memory of ~15GB).  This seems to
happen during jitcodewriter.

> Is this perhaps a bug with pypy-1.6 or the source code for pypy-1.7?  I'll
> try again using pypy-1.7 to do the translating once it has been translated
> (I needed to restart since I was running the translations in parallel).

I will also run a comparitive build with python-2.7 and report back...