[pypy-dev] Translating pypy-1.7 with -O0

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 19:53:05 CET 2011

On Wednesday, 23 November 2011 13:23:43 you wrote:
> Hi David,

Hi

> You are specifying conflicting options: --gcrootfinder=shadowstack
> does not make sense with the Boehm GC.

Removing --gcrootfinder=shadowstack fixes the problem for me.  Thanks.

> I fixed the source to report
> it properly as an error, rather than getting the strange crash later.
> It's unclear what you are trying to build and why, so I cannot give
> you the fixed command line that you mean to use...

I am building a port of pypy for FreeBSD so I am busy testing some
purmutations, such as various optimisation levels.  Boehm has an extra
dependency so needs specific testing and since it was easy to change the
optimisation level I opted to test translate a -O0 pypy.

I needed to patch an assumption about the dl library (which FreeBSD doesn't
have) and the translation works.  The binary, however, does not work and core
dumps when started with:
#0  0x00000008010debf8 in GC_FreeBSDGetDataStart () from
/usr/local/lib/libgc.so.1
#1  0x00000008010dec69 in GC_register_data_segments () from
/usr/local/lib/libgc.so.1
#2  0x00000008010dd815 in GC_init_inner () from /usr/local/lib/libgc.so.1
#3  0x0000000000412949 in pypy_main_function ()
#4  0x000000000041178e in _start ()

I'm happy to accept this as a bug in libgc (and ignore it).

Regards