[pypy-dev] How to organize the py3k branch (was: [pypy-commit] pypy py3k: Remove print statement)

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 10:55:50 CEST 2011

Hi Amaury, hi all,

On 12/10/11 22:23, amauryfa wrote:
> Author: Amaury Forgeot d'Arc<amauryfa at gmail.com>
> Branch: py3k
> Changeset: r47978:36b998dd9966
> Date: 2011-10-12 01:52 +0200
> http://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/changeset/36b998dd9966/
>
> Log:	Remove print statement

uhm... I thought that the idea was to have support for python 2 and 3 from the
same codebase, while from your commits it seems that your are actually
destryoing support for python 2.

I think that there are several possible ways to organize the source code, each
one with pros and cons.  Maybe we should organize an IRC meeting with the
interested people to decide which direction to follow?

I.e., a list of possibilities (everyone feels free to add more):

- have a branch where we have *only* python3, and rely on hg merge to get the
improvements to the translator (which is what you are doing right now, I
think).  It's easier to write, but then it might be hard to keep in sync with
the default branch

- support for py2 and py3 in the same branch, with minimal duplication of
code.  This would mean that e.g. in ast.py you would have tons of "if py2:
enable_print_stmt()", etc.  Personally, I think that the codebase would become
too cluttered.

- support for py2 and py3 in the same branch, with some duplication of code;
e.g., we could copy the existing interpreter/ into interpreter/py3k and modify
it there.  While we are at it, we should try hard to minimize the code
duplication, but then it's up to us to decide when it's better to duplicate or
when it's better to share the code between the twos.

- other?

ciao,
Anto