[pypy-dev] Anyone interested in a MIPS port...

David Schneider david.schneider at picle.org
Sun Oct 16 20:41:14 CEST 2011

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 20:03, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Nicolas Hureau
> <nicolas.hureau at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > On 24 August 2011 15:14, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:
> >> Sven and David are currently working on the PowerPC backend in the
> >> branch "ppc-jit-backend", if you want to follow; it is still at an
> >> early stage, which means that the amount of code so far should be
> >> reasonable.
> >>
> >> Sorry to answer this late, it seems that nobody is very much
> >> interested in contributing...  All I can promise myself is to give you
> >> some help, as I do right now with Sven. :-)
> >
> > I'm also interested in contributing to a MIPS port of the JIT backend.
> >
> > Is there any tip for cross-compiling PyPy that I should know about
> > before beginning ?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Cross compiling pypy is a bit hairy because PyPy (at translation time)
> queries underlaying Python enviroment for some details. You might be
> able to get rid of that, but it's a bit of work. We're here to help
> though. And no, there are no cross-compiler tools I'm aware of.
>
> Cheers,
> fijal

Hi,

I have been using the scratchbox2
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/sbox2toolchain to cross-translate
PyPy for ARM targeting the Ubuntu ARM port.
There is bit of documentation about using it in the ARM branch at
https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/src/arm-backend-2/pypy/doc/arm.rst
Maybe the information there is helpful for MIPS.

Greetings,

David