[pypy-dev] Questions on the pypy+numpy project

Ian Ozsvald ian at ianozsvald.com
Mon Oct 17 17:42:21 CEST 2011

> For pypy I can't see any better approach than the way they have taken. Once
> people are using numpy on pypy the limitations and missing parts will become
> clear, and not only will the way forward be more obvious but there will be
> more people involved to do the work.

Michael - I agree that the PyPy community shouldn't do all the
legwork! I agree also that the proposed path may spur more work (and
maybe that's the best goal for now).

I've gone back to the donations page:
http://pypy.org/numpydonate.html
to re-read the spec. What I get now (but didn't get before the
discussion at Enthought Cambridge) is that "we don't plan to implement
NumPy's C API" is a big deal (and not taking it on is  entirely
reasonable for this project!).

In my mind (and maybe in the mind of some others who use scipy?) a
base pypy+numpy project would easily open the door to matplotlib and
all the other scipy goodies, it looks now like that isn't the case.
Hence my questions to try to understand what else might be involved.

i.

--
Ian Ozsvald (A.I. researcher)
ian at IanOzsvald.com