[pypy-dev] Questions on the pypy+numpy project

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 18:14:46 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> Maciej Fijalkowski, 17.10.2011 17:46:
>
>  - pypy's numpy *will* integrate in some sort of way with existing
>> C/fortran libraries, but this way *will* be different than current
>> CPython C API. It's really just too hard to get both.
>>

> Why reinvent yet another wheel when you could make Cython a common language
> to write extensions and wrapper code for both? Even if that requires a few
> feature restrictions for Cython users or adaptations to their code to keep
> it portable, it's still better than forcing users into a complete vendor
> lock-in on both sides.
>
> Stefan

There's no fundamental objection to Cython, but there are practical ones.
 a) Most of NumPy isn't Cython, so just having Cython gives us little.  b)
Is the NumPy on Cython house in order?  AFAIK part of the MS project
involved rewriting parts of NumPy in Cython and modularising Cython for
targets besides CPython.  And that this was *not* merged.  For me to be
convinced Cython is a good target, I'd need belief that there's an interest
in it being a common platform, and when I see that there's work done, by
core developers, which sits unmerged (with no timeline) I can't have faith
in that.

Alex