[pypy-dev] Questions on the pypy+numpy project

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Oct 18 11:58:40 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:34, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:
> I'm confused -- I'm fairly convinced you think that a reasonable JIT
> is harder than writing numpy, and not the other way around?

Let me chime in --- applying the JIT to "numpypy" or to any other
piece of RPython code is, if not trivial, at least very
straightforward.  That's what our "JIT generator" does for you.  In
comparison, writing numpy (in whatever way, including all the
discussions here) is a much longer task.  Fijal is sticking to his
point, which is that if we rewrite (large parts of) numpy in RPython,
we are getting JIT support for free; but if we are *only* going down
the route of interfacing with existing pieces of C code, we don't get
any JIT in the end, and the performance will just suck.  Not to
mention that from my point of view it's clear which of the two paths
is best to attract newcomers to pypy.