[pypy-dev] Questions on the pypy+numpy project

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 16:27:45 CEST 2011

Hello Gary,

On 19/10/11 15:38, Gary Robinson wrote:
>>> You would like pypy+numpy+scipy so that you could write fast
>>> python-only algorithms and still use the existing libraries.  I
>>> suppose this is a perfectly reasonable usecase, and indeed
>>> the current plan does not focus on this.
>>

> Yes. That is exactly what I want.
[cut]

thank you for the input: indeed, I agree that for your usecase the current
plan is not the best. OTOH, there is probably someone else for which the
current plan is better than others, we cannot make everyone happy at the same
time, although we might do it eventually :-).

By the way, did you ever considered the possibility of running pypy and
cpython side-by-side?
You do your pure-python computation on pypy, then you pipe them (e.g. by using
execnet) to a cpython process which does the processing using scipy.
Depending on how big the data is, the overhead of passing the data around
should not be too high

It's not ideal, but it might be worth of being tried.

ciao,
Anto